CCP & Coronavirus | Learn More
Hello Connect Church Fam!
Should Christians Be Anxious About the Coronavirus?
With the increasing coronavirus cases outside of China, many believers across the United States wonder how to respond to the increasing alarm and now the issue is even closer to home. What would God have us do in the face of a growing international health crisis? Should our churches close their doors for fear of spreading illness? Should I take my kids out of school? Cancel travel plans? Should I even come to church this weekend?
The bigger picture is that this is the perfect opportunity for Missional Living. How should we help a panicked world?
First, it’s important to be reminded of what we already know. Worry is not our friend, and panic is not our way. Solomon reminds us, “If you faint in the day of adversity, your strength is small” (Prov. 24:10). May it never be said that God’s people are governed more by fear than faith. Worry doesn’t empty tomorrow of its sorrows, it empties today of its strength.
In times of crisis, the world needs steady people who are strengthened by God’s grace and selfless by God’s power. Worry accomplishes nothing except weakness of heart and head. It’s been said that 90 percent of the things we worry or become panicked about never happen, and the other 10 percent are outside our control.
Throughout history, Christians have often stood out because they were willing to help the sick even during plagues, pandemics, and persecutions. They loved people and weren’t afraid of death because they understood that “to live is Christ and to die is gain” (Phil. 1:21). By stepping into the mess of sickness and disease, they were able to demonstrate their faith to a watching world. So, rather than just asking “How do I stay healthy?” perhaps we should be also asking “How can I help the sick?” Let’s be quick to help and slow to hide in basements.
So, what can we do as a Church family to minimize the spread of germs?
As always, we are dedicated to providing a safe, CLEAN environment for you and your families. While the facilities we use are cleaned regularly, we will take extra steps to ensure that high traffic areas are sanitized each Sunday morning. In addition to hand soap being available in all restrooms, we will have hand sanitizer available throughout our lobby and kid’s environments. We plan on continuing our weekend services as per usual but are closely monitoring recommendations made by local, state, and national government agencies.
Please know that your safety is our first priority!
Finally, you can help stop the spread of germs by doing the following:
- If you notice someone is sick or may not be feeling well, avoid close contact with them.
- If you yourself are not feeling well, stay home, rest, and recover. This includes your kiddos. If they have a fever, a cough, a runny nose, a sore throat etc. please keep them home to rest.
- Be sure to cover your mouth and nose when coughing and/or sneezing.
- Wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds at a time using soap and warm water.
- If there is no soap/water available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with 60%-95% alcohol.
- Disinfect any belongings that you may bring from home with you to church (diaper bags, blankets, etc.)
Stay in Faith,
Pastor Ken, Lead Pastor
Connect Church Plano